[Regretfully, this isn’t being maintained at present because of lack of time. I’m leaving the present links intact as they may give you a starting point for finding festivals happening in 2018. DH, 5th March 2018]
Links checked and amended where possible 17th-20th January 2017. Please send any corrections, further suggestions and so on to contact page.
I can’t guarantee how well and for how long this page will be maintained, but hopefully the links should give you somewhere to start from in future years.
BTW, there’s a very good festivals listing at Folklife Quarterly (among many other things). Also UK Folk Festivals has good listings for festivals in Wales, England, Scotland and Ireland. Folking.com has a Latest Festival News page well worth checking.
- The People’s Folk Festival: Bassaleg, Newport. (The Facebook page seems more up to date than the website, but neither seem to have an info re 2017 at present (January 2017).)
- 21st-23rd April 2017: Oxford Folk Weekend, headlined by Martin Carthy, and also including Kathryn Roberts & Sean Lakeman, the Emily Portman Trio, Coope, Boyes and Simpson, The Simon Care Trio, Megson, Hannah James’ “Jigdoll” et al. Ticket information here.
- Wenlock Poetry Festival: as far as I know, there is no 2017 festival, but I believe it’s intended to resume in 2018: Much Wenlock, Shropshire
- Chester Folk Festival: 2017 festival at Kelsall, near Chester, 26-29 May
- Middlewich Folk & Boat Festival: 16-18 June 2017.
- Alcester Folk Festival: Alcester, Worcs, The Greig Centre.(formerly Redditch Folk Festival) 17-19 February 2017
- National Forest Folk Festival: near Ashby de la Zouch. No information at time of writing on 2017 festival, and all the events listed appear to be 2016. Maybe try their contact page for more information.
- Bromsgrove Festival and folk club: Bromsgrove Folk Club’s annual festival takes place July 13-16 2017, and there’s plenty of info on goings on at the folk club. Contact page here.
- Festival at the Edge: Much Wenlock, Shropshire. Storytelling Festival. Fliss tells me that for 2017, the details are 28th-30th July: to be held at Dearnford Lake, Tilstock Road, Whitchurch Shropshire SY13 3JQ but the site doesn’t seem to have been updated so far. [23rd January]
- Warwick Folk Festival.: Warwick A great line-up every year – artists, ceilidhs, workshops, dancers and more. One of Fliss’s favourite festivals. 27-30 July 2017.
- Cambridge Folk Festival: Put it this way: the last time I was there, Pentangle were on the bill and Steeleye Span, with the newly-acquired Martin Carthy, were doing impromptu close harmony stuff on the camp site. But the line-up is always stellar. 27-30 July 2017
- Farmhouse Blues Day at Wheathill Court Farm, near Burwarton on Saturday 29th July. See the South Shropshire Blues Club web site for more details in due course.
- Sidmouth: Sidmouth, Devon. Offering an outstanding variety of music, dance, song, street theatre, world dance, family shows, showground entertainment, legendary names and rising stars. I’d suggest that you ignore sidmouthfestical.com unless you’re more interested in oriental languages than British folk music. 4-11 August 2017.
- Farmhouse Blues one-day festival: Wheathill Court Farm, Wheathill, Bridgnorth Shropshire. Organized by South Shropshire Blues Club. No news of a 2017 festival yet, but I’ll be surprised if there isn’t something.
- Church Stretton Arts Festival: July 29 – 13 August 2017
- Cropredy Festival: The Fairport Convention convention, so to speak. Held at Cropredy, near Banbury in Oxfordshire, since the extinction of the dinosaurs. 10-12 August 2017
- Farmer Phil’s Festival: August 11th – 13th 2017 near Gatten Farm, Ratlinghope, Shrewsbury, Shropshire SY5 0SN. Tel: +44 (0)7828 785219 (Jessica). Small, eclectic music festival.
- Shrewsbury Folk Festival: The Shrewsbury Folk Festival 25-28th August 2017. Keep an eye on the news page here. The current contact details are: Shrewsbury Folk Festival, PO Box 106, Worthen, Shrewsbury, SY5 9XG, Tel: 01743 892800, Email:email@example.com In case of further changes, the contact page is here.
- Off the Tracks: Summer festival 1-3 September 2017, somewhere near Derby. Contact page here.
- Bromyard Folk Festival: The Bromyard festival 2017 takes place 8-10 September 2017 at the pleasant little town of Bromyard in Worcestershire. Contact page here.
- South Downs Folk Festival, Bognor Regis, 21-24 September 2017.
- Hartlepool Folk Festival: 13-15 October 2017
Ludlow Festival: Ludlow, Shropshire, has festivals like a Dalmatian has spots. (I’m thinking dogs, not European teenagers.) The link gives some info on what is currently due, month by month, but there’s no out-and-out folk festival.
The following are apparently discontinued (please let us know via the contact page if you have further information):
- Wheaton Aston Festival: Looks as if the festival at Wheaton Aston, Staffordshire, didn’t make it past 2009. 😦
- Four Fools Folk Festival: Seems to have been discontinued from 2011.
- Nantwich Folk & Roots Festival: The Nantwich festival doesn’t seem to have been held since 2005.
- The Elm Tree Festival: I’m unable to find any recent information about the Elm Tree festival, though the Elm Tree Inn at Langton Herring has a web page here. The weblink for the festival that was formerly here is broken.
- Saul Canal Festival: The former Junction Events pageseems to be under (re-)construction. A Waterways Association page concerning the 2014 Saul Canal Pageant doesn’t mention music, but the Folk on the Water site shows lots of gigs that may be worth checking out.
- Cheltenham Festivals: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire. – can’t see a current folk-ish festival