I’m David Harley, a Shropshire Lad by birth, though I’ve spent longer living outside the county than in it. I do currently live in Ludlow, though I plan to move to the West Country in the next month or two. Most of my income comes from research into and writing about security, but it’s unlikely that the content of this blog will be much influenced by that.
To my slight bewilderment, there is a Wikipedia article about me here, but it’s mostly about my daytime job(s) in IT security. However, I did play guitar for a living long ago, and never quite grew out of it. In the early 1970s I played with a number of bands in Wales and the Midlands, and worked as a duo with Sally Stevenson (now Sally Goddard) who is still giving it some welly with the Canadian band Atlantic Union. In the later 70s and 80s I worked with various bands and artists including Kathy Bowen-Jones, Nick Warman (as a trio we called ourselves the Flying Piglets), Lyn (Anna) Thompson, Don MacLeod, and poet and songwriter Bernard Puckett. There are some miscellaneous recordings (mostly from the 80s) on Soundcloud and on a blog site imaginatively called David Harley Songs, which includes some more recent demo recordings. I’m currently going through my 1980s studio recordings, which might be released as CDs at some point.
In recent years I’ve been much more engaged with songwriting than with performing (as a guitarist or as a singer), but I do inflict myself occasionally on audiences around Shropshire, where I currently live (in Ludlow, to be precise). Sometimes solo, sometimes with ceilidh bands (most recently with Commoners Mock), sometimes (but not nearly often enough) with the fine American singer Ann Gray.
As a soloist, I tend to play my own material (on acoustic and electric guitars) with a heavy leavening of blues, especially bottleneck. I have been known to play other instruments, but only in bands or in the studio.
- David Harley’s Songs (Song lyrics, recordings and demo recordings, related info.)
- Dataholics: the IT addiction (Ravings of a security-obsessed internaut, with the occasional cartoon…)
- David Harley’s Verse (This site is going from bad to verse.)
- Parodies Regained (Parody and pastiche.)
- Shropshire Blues (Various aspects of living in Shropshire.)
- Shropshire Laddishness: my settings of Housman’s verse and other Housman-related articles.
My own security and other blogs are (mostly) listed here:
- Anti-Malware Testing (AMTSO, anti-virus product testing, the universe and everything…)
- Check Chain Mail and Hoaxes (Information and commentary on hoaxes, spam and scams.)
- ESET blog (This is my primary outlet for security blogging: obviously, ESET has several other bloggers too.)
- Geek Peninsula PR stuff, information on articles, conference papers etc.
- Mac Virus (Focused on Apple – Mac and iOS – malware and security, and by extension other mobile platforms.)
You’re welcome to mail me via the contact form, but I don’t promise a speedy reply: though semi-retired, I still have a pretty demanding work schedule.
Small Blue-Green World
ESET Senior Research Fellow