[Updated 18th March 2020]
After discussion with Fliss Burke, who originally launched the Sabrinaflu site, we’ve agreed that it’s not really practical for us to continue to keep this page adequately updated even after the Covid-19 crisis abates. I will, for the moment, leave the page as it is, and if I’m contacted directly about changes/corrections, I’ll do my best to flag them here, but the page is inevitably going to be less and less accurate as time goes on. The Events Listings/Resources page does list some alternative resources, though I won’t generally be continuing to maintain that page either.
I’m not in a position to go through checking all these again, I’m afraid, so don’t go to anything without checking with the organizer or venue. But then, that was always my advice!
[Updated 17th March 2020]
Because of the Covid-19 health crisis, a large number of regular events have already been cancelled or at least suspended. I’m afraid I can’t promise to keep on top of all the events listed here as they go offline and (hopefully) resume further down the line. Of course, I’ll remove anything I know to have stopped happening altogether in due course. Where I can, I’ll continue to repost any relevant information on the Sabrinaflu group page on Facebook. Whether you decide to go to events that are still running is up to you, of course, at least until the government decrees otherwise: for the moment I’m leaving the list intact with contact details – where I have them – so that you can check on current status.
This page includes formal folk clubs, sessions, open mics etc. It also lists some events that were formerly listed here but are or may be defunct. Further information about defunct events is welcomed, but I don’t promise to add new events, whether one-offs or regular sessions.
Anything marked [unconfirmed] hadn’t been confirmed as of 31st July 2017 or later. Feel free to contact us with corrections, updates, additions, suggestions… (But note that I don’t live in the area and I can’t give this site as much attention as I used to.) For reasons of time management, I won’t be re-checking regularly, so recommend you check where possible before setting out. 🙂 I do flag individual events fairly scrupulously on the Sabrinaflu Facebook page.
See also the Shreds and Patches Shropshire sessions page (this probably won’t be updated again, sadly) and amandalynnemusic (doesn’t seem to have been updated since 2012). The Folk Orbit link formerly given here has expired, and I haven’t found an alternative site. (Thanks, Peter Rowan, for pointing it out.) The Mister Red site (formerly to be found as cresby.com) has info from this area as well as several other interesting features. The Worcester traditional music page lists quite a few events from Worcestershire and thereabouts. Folklife Quarterly is a print magazine, primarily, but includes some online resources for several areas of the UK. [I’m contributing listings to the magazine at the moment, by the way, but my last column is due to appear in May 2020.]
The Black Gate , 7 Salop Road, Oswestry SY11 2NR; 01691 657484.Strictly acoustic singaround-type session led by Chris Greve. I think this now at The Fox Inn Oswestry. [March 18th 2020]
- Shroppie Fly, The Wharf, Audlem CW3 0DX: Alan Thomas tells me that “The session at the Shropshire fly at Audlem is on again every Monday night from around 8pm and has been for about two months now hope this helps.” [25th November 2019]
- Songwriters Session at the Loggerheads, 1 Church Street, SY1 1UG Shrewsbury, now hosted by Dominic Craven. [Update: I don’t think this is happening any more, as noone volunteered to take over from Dominic.]
- Brimfield Folk Club (formerly Roebuckaneers) has been replaced at the Roebuck with a pool table(!), so is now at Brimfield Village Hall. Roger Penwill says: ‘We continue to meet at 8pm … with the same format as before. The entrance fee is now £1 and it’s bring your own drinks. Contact and phone number is me as before, same number 01584 711854.’ Facebook page here.
- 1st Monday every month – The Prince of Wales, 30 Bynner Street, Belle Vue, Shrewsbury, SY3 7NZ – music session only. (01743) 343301.
- Uncle Arthur’s Acoustic Jam Session: Ye Olde Tavern, 22 Victoria Road, Kington, HR5 3BX Hereford, Herefordshire. Run by Arthur Hyde. [Can’t confirm still current: July 2017, and it appears that the pub changed hands in 2019, which is rarely a good sign…]
- Vaga Tavern acoustic session, Vaga street ,Hereford. Players and singers welcome, very informal, fun.7.30pm onwards. Host /Angela [Facebook page expired as of July 2017: status unconfirmed]
- Crown, Clunton: Session with 8.30 – 9 pm start(?) [NB, most recent notifications I’ve seen say 7.30 start]. (Richard 01588 660226) [Have seen notifications quite recently in 2017.]
- Admiral Rodney, Criggion (off B4393 Shrewsbury to Four Crosses) Lionel Parker 01691 831162 [Unconfirmed]
- Original Music Showcase Night, Fox Inn, Oswestry: . Contact Chris@chrisgreve.com to ask for a spot.
- The Bull’s Head, Coventry Road, Brinklow, Rugby, Warwickshire, CV23 0NE: 01788 832355. Hosts the Wurzel Bush Folk Club. The club site and the venue site show events happening well into 2018, but there may be problems with contacting the club direct via email. (NB, the info about the Wurzel Bush formerly shown in the ‘Indeterminate status’ section below turns out to have been wildly out of date, apart from the web site link. HT to Daria Kulesh for bringing it to my attention.)
- Loggerheads (sometimes known as the Shrewsbury Arms): acoustic session formerly hosted by Chris Greve and as of March 2019 by Phil Jones. Loggerheads, 1 Church Street, SY1 1UG Shrewsbury.
- Wrekin Inn, (formerly the Oddfellows), Wellington. Open mic. Returned to the Wrekin Inn, Wrekin Road, Wellington in May 2015. Sounds like a pretty professional setup with lots of special events, but the Facebook page is no longer functioning.
- Tuesday Folk meet every Tuesday night for a ‘Folk and Acoustic Music’ session in the Ironbridge Gorge area.
- 1st Tuesday – The White Lion – West Castle Street, Bridgnorth. WV16 4ABBob Hayes 01746 763962
- 2nd Tuesday – The Lion Hotel, High St, Broseley TF12 5EZ
- 3rd Tuesday – The Boat Inn, Jackfield, Nr Ironbridge. TF8 7LS
- 4th Tuesday – The Boat Inn, Jackfield, Nr Ironbridge. TF8 7LS
- 5th Tuesday – see the Facebook page
- The Inn Railway, Penybontfawr. Oswestry. Welsh. Gary Northeast 01938 810626 [unconfirmed]
- The Three Tuns Inn, Salop Street, SY9 5BW Bishops Castle. 01588 638 797. ‘What’s on’ page. Facebook page. [Still advertised as of March 2018. Next dates are 13 March, 27 March 2018. A free drink for all performers.]
- I hear that there is a session at The Grove, Belle Vue Road, Shrewsbury, twice a month, another once a month on Thursday, and possibly a Wednesday session? No further details at the moment: I suggest you contact the pub.
- White Lion, Knighton, nr. Woore. [N.B., this is near Market Drayton, not the Knighton in Powys.] Celtic. Pete Hall 01630 661429 B5026 (Market Drayton road) only pub in village (on left) before Pipegate & Woore. [Can’t confirm current status – July 2017]
- Wheelwrights, Pencombe, Bromyard. Sue Clark 01885 400358 [Unconfirmed]
- White Lion, West Castle Street, Bridgnorth. Singers Session. Bob Hayes 01746 763962 [see https://www.facebook.com/groups/185989171421210/]
- Wheatsheaf, High Street Shrewsbury SY1 1ST 9pm. Slower session 8pm-9pm. Celtic – Traditional (Typical Irish Session – good craic!) Izzy MacLachlan 07788 677430 [unconfirmed]
- Tuesday Folk at The White Lion – West Castle Street, Bridgnorth. WV16 4AB
- The Old Bucks Head, Frankwell, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, SY3 8JR: Tel: (01743) 369392. Email:firstname.lastname@example.org. Acoustic string session every 1st and 3rd Tuesday run by Merrion Wood, Bob Hands, and Graham Higson. [Can’t confirm current status – July 2017]
- Courtyard Open Mic, The Courtyard, Edgar Street, Hereford, Herefordshire HR4 9JR.
01432 278118/01432 346534; Nicky or Jen at email@example.com [Can’t confirm current status – July 2017]
- Red Lion, Cheswardine. Music session, according to this. Peter Hall 01630 661429. During winter (dominoes season) 2nd Mon or Tues, Summer – Tuesday according to this.
- Woodbridge Inn, Coalport. Singers Session. Simons 01952 884052 [Unconfirmed]
- Black Bear, 49 High St, Whitchurch SY13 1AZ Folk and Anything Goes! (Lovely ‘Olde’ Inn, friendly and enthusiastic crowd) Mark 01948 663800 [unconfirmed]
- White Lion, Hankelow, nr. Audlem. Pete Hall 01630 661429 [Unconfirmed]
- The Lion Hotel, High St, Broseley TF12 5EZ [see https://www.facebook.com/groups/185989171421210/]
- Tuesday Folk at The White Lion – West Castle Street, Bridgnorth. WV16 4AB
- The Royal Oak (The Tiddly), Ellerdine Heath.TF6 6RL Folk Ensemble – English instrumental! Floss & Sheila 01952 240989 [unconfirmed]
- Parish Rooms, Whitewell, Whitchurch SY13 3AL Folk and Anything Goes! (friendly and enthusiastic crowd) Julie 01948 780225 [unconfirmed]
- The Bhurtpore, Aston, nr. Wrenbury.Celtic. Pete Hall 01630 661429. A525 to Burley Dam fork A530 (Nantwich road) left at Aston cross roads, ½ mile on left.[unconfirmed]
- Tuesday Folk at The Boat Inn, Jackfield, Ironbridge tel 01952 885777 Singers Evening. [see https://www.facebook.com/groups/185989171421210/ or https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tuesday-Folk-Acoustic-Music-Sessions/113704968681708]
- Tuesday Folk at The Boat Inn, Jackfield, Ironbridge. Singers Evening. tel: Boat Inn 01952 885777 [see https://www.facebook.com/groups/185989171421210/ or https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tuesday-Folk-Acoustic-Music-Sessions/113704968681708]
- Neil Moore tells us that ‘The session at the Blue Bell at Tushingham has now moved to the Wheatsheaf in No Man’s Heath.’ (I guess this is the one in Cheshire and near to Tushingham, not the No Man’s Heath in Warwickshire.) [Can’t confirm current status – July 2017]
Last Tuesday of the month
- The Swan, Marbury, Whitchurch, SY13 4LS Marilyn Farrington 01829 751647 [unconfirmed]
The Wild Boar, 27 Lakin Road, Warwick, Warwickshire, CV34 5BU. T: 01926 499968. E: firstname.lastname@example.org [NB Unconfirmed: may have moved to the 3rd Wednesday (HT to Mr Red.)]
- Updated information (thanks to Clive Grainger) about the Shropshire Roads Folk Sessions. I doubt if I’ll ever get to one of these, but sound good.
first Wednesday – New Inn, Newport TF10 7LX;
second Wednesday – Three Horseshoes, Sambrook TF10 8AP;
third Wednesday – Red Lion at Sutton TF10 8DQ;
fourth Wednesday – Three Horseshoes at Sambrook TF10 8AP;
fifth Wednesday – Red Lion at Sutton TF10 8DQ.
All sessions start at around 8.30pm . Everyone welcome, from beginners to professionals. Plenty of tunes and songs, and everyone who wants to, gets a turn. Expect mainly folk, but also a bit of blues, roots, or even country. For more info email Clive at email@example.com
- The Dog & Pheasant: Severn Street, Shrewsbury. Contact Chris Greve. Another very good session (visited Autumn 2018) [Now back to being weekly].
- Music session (with some songs) at the
Crown, 28 Abbey Foregate, Shrewsbury, Shropshire,SY2 6BT – 01743 248308now at the Seven Stars, Coleham Head, Shrewsbury, Shropshire SY3 7BP 07890 174889. [Confirmed by Ralph Edwards as moved but still running September 2019.]
- Albert’s Songwriters Showcase at Albert’s Shed Bar, Barker St, Shrewsbury.
- Biddulph Folk Club Gig list here. All the concerts are at The Biddulph Arms, Congleton Road, Biddulph, North Staffs except where stated otherwise. Contacts here. [Checked and updated 31/7/2017]
- The Red Lion, Llanidloes. Martin Herbert 01686 411053 [unconfirmed]
- I’ve never been to the Telford Acoustic Music Club, and I’ve heard a couple of widely divergent accounts of its history.. However, there seem to be two versions of it on the same night. One is the The Crown, Market Street, Oakengates TF2 6EA. The other is at the Old Fighting Cocks across the road. (That’s 48 Market Street, Oakengates TF2 6DU.) According to the management at the Old Fighting Cocks, the people who go there aren’t necessarily there every week. Still, if you go to one and there’s nothing happening, I guess you can pop across to the other. And you can try checking with the venues beforehand. Telford Acoustic Music Club – not mentioned on the Facebook page, so check before going.
- Carden Arms, Church Rd, Tilston, Malpas SY14 7HB Mainly English 01829 250214 [unconfirmed]
- Baskerville Hall Open Acoustic Session. From 8.30. A free drink and chips for every performer. Clyro, near Hay on Wye. HR3 5LE. Not sure if this phone number still works: 01497 820033. However, I’ve seen the session publicized recently .
- The Red Lion Folk Club, The Red, Lion, Vicarage Road, Kings Heath, Birmingham.
Wednesdays 7.45pm. Has apparently always been a concert club. (HT to Mr Red.)
1st & 3rd Wednesday
- Wheatsheaf Open Mic, High Street, Shrewsbury SY1 1ST: 1st and 3rd Wednesday from 8.30 Open mic hosted by Fergus Reid. [Still happening (and pretty good) – December 2018]
- Red Cow, Beam Street, Nantwich. Eddie Kerin. 01270628583 [unconfirmed]
Stables Inn, Hope, SY5 0EP. Contact is Bill Johnson, probably on 01938 555863.
- The Old Town Vaults, St. Mary’s Street, Whitchurch, SY13 1QU
Neil Moore 01948 665128 [Unconfirmed]
The Lion Inn, Edgmond TF10 8HN start 8.30 ish. ‘Shropshire Roads Folk Sessions’ Enthusiastic musicians & vocalists welcome! ‘Folk, Roots & Blues, maybe a bit of Country too!’ Janet Lloyd confirms that this is still happening, and is run by Jon Lloyd (21st September 2016).The Lion at Edgmond is apparently closed, but the Shropshire Roads Folk Sessions continue weekly at various venues: see above. (Thanks, Clive Grainger, for the update.)
- Wheatsheaf Open Mic, High Street, Shrewsbury SY1 1ST: 1st and 3rd Wednesday from 8.30.
- Kings Arms, Shropshire Street, Market Drayton. Alan Wisener 07966 225578 [Can’t confirm current status – July 2017]
- The Wild Boar, 27 Lakin Road, Warwick, Warwickshire, CV34 5BU. T: 01926 499968. E: firstname.lastname@example.org [Unconfirmed: was last Tuesday of the month, but may have moved to the 3rd Wednesday. (HT to Mr Red.)]
Kings Head, Tenbury Wells: Americana/old time/bluegrass session. More info from email@example.com. I’m not getting mail about this any more, but I have an idea that it’s moved to The Press Room in Leominster. On further enquiries, it seems that the session at Tenbury is no more, so this seems to be the replacement, though the pub’s own page says ‘all styles welcome’. For more information contact Chris at the email above, or contact the pub.
- Three Horse Shoes, Sambrook TF10 8AP John 07800 663 953 [unconfirmed]
- Six Bells, Church Street, Bishops Castle SY9 5AA: mixed session more or less replacing the defunct session at the Sun in Clun. From March 25th 2020. N.B. the link doesn’t at present reflect the recent change of management.
- The Thursday session formerly held at the Loggerheads moved to the Wheatsheaf, High Street, Shrewsbury. There was a bit of a blip earlier in 2018, but both the Sloggers session and the twice-a-month open mic are well back on track.
- The Griffin Inn, Albion Hill, Sy111QA Oswestry: open mic/acoustic with Chris Greve.
- Black Swan, Much Dewchurch, Herefordshire HR2 8DJ: acoustic session from 8.30-ish. Phil Heinricy confirms that the session is still running. He says: …still runs weekly on Thursdays. Attendance varies, depending on who among the regulars is on holiday, etc., but it is a welcoming session at which styles vary across the board, depending on who turns up. As an aside, at 26 years+ we believe it to be the longest running session in the county. Hurrah! Thanks, Phil 🙂
- Old Post Office, Shrewsbury (that’s a pub!): Acoustic Knights session. Richard Powell says: Anyone wanting to try out their voice, anyone who has taken a break from music and wants to ease back into it will get a warm welcome. We are not a critical bunch, and are very supportive of each other, so it’s a great atmosphere to nurture abilities, no matter what your age, instrument or musical style. We currently play : 30’s, through to 90’s and contemporary music, plus a little flamenco and even Zorba the Greek, and the occasional pan pipe tune ! [Can’t confirm that it’s still going: check with the pub. I was there in August 2017 and nothing seemed to be happening, and the person behind the bar knew nothing about it.]
- The Boat Inn, Ferry Road, Jackfield, Ironbridge TF8 7LS . Typical Irish Session – good craic! 01952-884489; Boat Inn – 01952-885777.
- Black Lion, Welsh Row, Nantwich [unconfirmed]
- The Mount, Llanidloes. Andrew Warren 01686 413316 [unconfirmed]
- Cross Keys, Selattyn. SY10 7DH Mainly Irish. 01691 355457/650247. Listed as recently checked (2014) in Folk Orbit, so presumed still current but check with the pub. www.facebook.com/TheCrossKeysSelattyn/timeline
- Wrekin Inn, Wellington TF1 1RH 8:00 English – still happening as Floss’s Folk Jam Session according to this site. Also listed quite recently in Musician Mateys.
- I heard that there was a weekly Thursday night session at the Loggerheads run by Russell Davies, but I’ve just been told that nothing is happening at the Loggerheads on a Thursday right now. Richard said of the session run by Russell: ‘very varied trad folk, gypsy jazz and Americana. Songs and tunes. usually a spare guitar available to share. Start at 8.30 pm goes on until closing time.’
- The Lion Inn, Edgmond TF10 8HN open-mic. [unconfirmed]
- The Woodman, Coton Hill, Shrewsbury SY1 2DZ: 9.00pm(01743-351007) Jazz/blues session. [unconfirmed]
- The Buttermarket, Howard St, Shrewsbury. SY1 2LF: 9:00 (01743 231142): Jazz/Roots Club [unconfirmed]
- Swan, Brewood. Tony Barrett. 01785 841274 [Can’t confirm current status – July 2017]
1st and 3rd Thursday
- The Arleston Inn, Wrockwardine, Arleston Brook, TF1 2LA, 01952 501881, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rifleman, 68 James Hall Street, Nantwich, CW5 5QELynne Barnes 01270 628041 [Mo Waddington tells me this has moved to The Leopard, presumably the one at 33 London Road Nantwich, CW5 6LJ. Awaiting confirmation (never received!).
- Castle Inn, Knucklas (on the Heart of Wales line) or on the B4355, Knucklas, Knighton LD7 1PW. (Tel: Siggy 01547 528223 or the Castle Inn 01547 528150)
A regular session which was formerly visited every second month by Folk Down The Track, by way of the Heart of Wales line, but that arrangement has changed. N.B. if you go by train, the last train back to Craven Arms/Shrewsbury goes at 21.50 [last checked 17th August 2016]. Unfortunately, the last train towards Swansea leaves just after 19.00, the same train the Shrewsbury-ish visitors arrive on, so visitors from the South don’t usually come by train. More information about Folk Down the Track at Slow Travel in the Marches, and on the new arrangement regarding Knucklas visits here.
- The King’s Head, Shrewsbury Road, Market Drayton TF9 3EH Folk Ensemble – open house! (HalfCut Folk & Friends! Very friendly!) Alan Thompson tells me: “The session at the Kings Head on the third Thursday is still on but is now run by John MorganEvans however the pub has just been sold so this could change I will let you know when I have more information.” I’ll flag it here when he does.
The Sun Inn, 10, High Street Clun.I believe this has been discontinued.
- Grapes, Salop Rd / Wellington Cresc. Welshpool SY21 7EZ 8:00 [unconfirmed]
- The Crown Oakengates, “Open Mic night” hosted by Howard and Clare. [Can’t confirm current status – July 2017]
- Bromsgrove Folk Club
Folk Club at Catshill Club Second and Last Thursday of every month, 8:00pm until 10:30ish. 13 Meadow Road, Catshill, BROMSGROVE B61 0JJ. Contact [Club status confirmed 13-2-15]
- Hotspur Club, acoustic session, 8.30pm. Phil Heinricy says the session is no longer running at Shobdon airfield. The group is now looking for a different venue for each week of the month. A 1st Friday session is confirmed at Brockington Golf Course, Bodenham, HR1 3HX. The search is on for more venues closer to South Shropshire and North Herefordshire. For the moment, he recommends that you check the club’s Facebook page to see what venue is lined up for that week.
- The Boatyard, Bangor, North Wales. Irish session every Friday 9ish onwards https://www.facebook.com/groups/283639105035880/
- Chase Folk Club
Every Friday Evening at the Fiveways Inn, Hednesford Road, Heath Hayes, Cannock, Staffordshire WS12 3HU. Barry Yates – ( 01543 ) 279 022 [Confirmed 13/2/15, but web site unavailable as of July 2017]
- THE SOMERS in Worcester is no longer in the Alma Tavern, which has closed (Thanks to Phil Heinricy for the update). The club now meets at Bishop Allenby Hall, St. Stephen’s Church, off St. Stephen’s Street, Worcester WR3 7HS. (Bring your own drinks and glasses etc.) Other details:
Fridays 8:15 – 10:45 pm;
£2.00 for members – £2.50 for visitors – FIRST VISIT FREE!
Membership £5 to 31 December – join at the door
“All kinds of folk are welcome.”
- The Woodman Folk Club meets on Friday Nights at 8.30 at:
Ashwood Marina, Ashwood Lower Lane, Kingswinford, DY6 0AQ [still current at July 2017]
- Northwich Folk Club
8:30 every Friday at The Harlequin Theatre,Queen St., Northwich, Cheshire. [still current July 2017] Contact
- The Black Diamond Folk Song Club
Fridays 8.30pm at the The Lamp Tavern, 157 Barford Street, Highgate, Birmingham B5 6AH [Checked July 2017]
- Unicorn Folk Club is, like its web site, defunct. Linda Del-Manso tells me that the club was replaced in 2015 by the Bradford Arms folk club at the same venue: Bradford Arms, Ivetsey Bank Near Wheaton Aston Staffs. ST19 9QT. Contact form on the web site. Mixture of guest nights , singers nights and singarounds.
- Freddyheady points out that Crystal Folk is now New Crystal Folk and has changed venues to Blackheath Liberal Club, B65 0ER Rowley Regis. Facebook page. [Checked July 2017]
- The session formerly at the Unicorn, Lower Corve St, Ludlow, is now at the Blue Boar, 52 Mill Street, Ludlow SY8 1BB. Ann Merrill Gray, 01584879348, or annmerrill50 [at] yahoo.com.
- Camp Inn, Grimley, WR2 6LX – From the Worcester – Holt Heath – Tenbury road, turn right at sign to Grimley, right again twice, then continue for quite a distance before the narrow lane bends left to the pub. Apparently very oriented to tunes rather than songs. [Can’t confirm current status – July 2017]
1st and 3rd Friday
- Haberdasher’s Arms, Adbaston, Nr Knighton, Staffs ST20 0QHCeltic/Trad’ English (mixed instrumental session – friendly in very rural pub)*Sometimes 5th
Trev & Max 01785 280650 [Unconfirmed, and not in any case a firm fixture.]
- The Royal Hill, Melverley. 01691 682233 / 01691 831162 [unconfirmed]
- Castlefields Community Centre, New Park Road, Shrewsbury. Folk-clubby/ceilidh-ish event every 2nd Friday from 8.30. Contact Roger Drummond (rogerandsue (at) docanoe.com). Songs, tunes, poetry, monologues… (formerly at the Dog & Pheasant)
- Music and poetry session beginning on Friday 15th March 2019 at the Monkey Puzzle Cafe, 6 Puzzle Square, Welshpool SY21 7LE: (+44 1938 228068) at 7.30 pm. Read, recite, sing, play or just enjoy. All genres-beginners very welcome. Free Entry. [Not sure this is still happening.]
- Corvedale Folk Club, Sun Inn, Corfton, Shropshire SY7 9DF. As of January 2019, according to Ian Fotheringham, “we will be holding our sessions on the 3rd Friday of each month (except August- no session). Mostly folk with some blues/music hall/recitations/storytelling – anything acoustic welcome!”
- On the 3rd Friday but every other month, the blues jam formerly at the Unicorn in Ludlow, organized by the South Shropshire Blues Club. Owing to closure of the Unicorn, now at the Rose and Crown. [Still happening as of January 2019]
- Another event that seems to take place on the third Friday on alternate months in Kidderminster, the Birch & Stock. St. Peter’s Community Hall, Meredith Green, Kidderminster DY11 7EW. 8-10pm, PA, food but BYOD. Ring 01562 741569 to book a floor spot or for further info. Confirmed dates at time of writing for 2018: 16th February, 20th April, 22nd June, 17th August, 19th October and 14th December. See also New Folk Club for Worcestershire! on Keith Jones’s blog.
- Irish Traditional Music session, The Old Coppers Malthouse, Church Stretton SY6 6DU. Held on the last Friday of the month 8:30pm – 11:30pm. All players of Trad Irish Music welcome, as are listeners. [from 27th July 2018] This is a change of venue for the session formerly at the Yew Tree in All Stretton. I went to this at the end of 2018, when I was staying in Church Stretton for family reasons, and while Irish tunes aren’t really my thing, it was a darn good session.
None known at present
- Bird in Hand acoustic session: 50 Coton Hill, Shrewsbury, Shropshire SY1 2DT
- Slow Music Saturdays will be meeting in Shrewsbury on the 2nd Saturday of the month, at the Mereside Community Centre, SY2 6LH. The first date booked is 9th January 2016 at 10:00 for 2 hrs. [Can’t confirm current status: July 2017]
- Boars Head Hotel, Middlewich. Dave Thompson 01606 836896 [unconfirmed]. The pub’s web site mentions live bands and open mics, but isn’t specific about nights or dates, and doesn’t mention a folk event.
- Irish and Folk Practice Session
The Birchmeadow Centre, Broseley. Fliss Burke 01952 586986 email email@example.com
- Horns, Gnosall. Chris Holt 01785 823224 [unconfirmed]
- Loggerheads, Shrewsbury. Very tunes-oriented. Nick Howard 01743 242556 – For updates, see https://thesession.org/sessions/237 or contact nickthefiddle(at)worldonline.co.uk
- White Hart, Birch Lane, Ellesmere. Session: Hilary Harrison 01691 623938 [Can’t confirm current status: April 2019]
- Black Swan, Jackfield, Ironbridge. Song. [Can’t confirm current status: April 2017]
- Lion Inn, Llandinam nr. Newtown. Phil Freeman 01686 688102 [Can’t confirm current status: July 2017]
- The Green Dragon Little Stretton SY6 6RE Telephone 01694 722925
Session contact Pat Simons 01952 884052 [unconfirmed]
The Woodman, Coton Hill, Shrewsbury SY1 2DZ: ) – excellent song and music session. 01743-351007 is the pub number. 2nd and 4th Sunday. [Have been in 2018, and still very popular, but can be a little clique-ish, depending on who is there.]
Arvon Ale House, Llandrindod Wells: folk session, 2nd and 4th Sunday. ‘The sessions are open to all, whether you want to sing, play or listen, everyone welcome.’ [Can’t confirm current status: July 2017]
The Woodman, Coton Hill, Shrewsbury SY1 2DZ: ) – excellent song and music session. 01743-351007 is the pub number. 2nd and 4th Sunday. [Probably still current.]
Arvon Ale House, Llandrindod Wells: folk session, 2nd and 4th Sunday. ‘The sessions are open to all, whether you want to sing, play or listen, everyone welcome.’ [Can’t confirm current status: July 2017]
- Bowling Green, Stoke Prior, nr. Bromsgrove. Not sure this is still current: try the link for Bromsgrove Folk Club. There is still the Folk Festival at The Bowling Green. [Can’t confirm current status: July 2017]
Indeterminate status, may be defunct:
- Steady Music Session in Kinver: The Plough and Harrow is no longer hosting this event, so there was no session in October 2016. In a Facebook posting here, Mel Biggs said that a new team of volunteers hoped to find a new venue for November but the Facebook page here has been static for several years.
- The Cuckoo’s Nest Folk Club, Folk at the Nest: the Cuckoo’s Nest Folk had artists on once a month and presumably ran other nights, but the web site doesn’t seem to have been updated since 2013: use the contact page or check with the Foxlowe Arts Centre – which does seem to run folk events, but not necessarily regularly – for further information.
- Plough Inn Irish session, 26 Broadway, Shifnal, TF11 8AZ Shifnal. [Suspended from June 2015 because of lack of support: hopefully enough people will express interest for it to be resumed at some point, maybe even July. We’ll let you know if we hear anything, which we haven’t as of February 2020]]
- Folk on the Fosse
Was at The Black Horse, Marton, Warwickshire 01788 567338 – I can’t find any indication that it’s still running and the web site seems to be dead.
- Folk Plus
Formerly The Littleton Arms, Walsall, last heard of at The Pretty Bricks,
5 John Street, Walsall, WS2 8AF. Every Tuesday. Events not updated since 2008 but there are a couple of email addresses. [Update: freddyheady points out that the Littleton Arms was demolished in 2006.] I certainly wouldn’t head out there without checking with the pub and/or the contacts on the Folk Plus page. Web site seems to be dead.
- Folk at the Swan
The White Swan, Mill St, Bedworth -2nd Weds of every month (8.30 start). Web link not functioning: however there is a Bedworth Folk Club site here.
- Traditional Song Sessions
First Thursday of the month from 8pm
Kitchen Garden Cafe, Kings Heath, Birmingham B14 7SA [That page generates a 404 error: however, there are irregular folk events at that venue listed here.]
Birmingham Traditional Music Club
Sundays 8.30pm at The Wagon and Horses, Adderley Street, Birmingham [Can’t find a live web links as of 14-2-15]
- The Blue Bell, Tushingham SY13 4QR Sadly, Neil Moore tells us that ‘The Bell has closed and Phillip Stafford has passed away’. Apparently there were two sessions there: the other one has moved to the Wheatsheaf in No Man’s Heath (see above, 4th Tuesday).
- It seems that the Song House is no longer a regular monthly event – check the Song House link for further information and updates.